Expertise in user-centred design, visual design, interaction design, information architecture, accessibility and web standards.
I have been working on the web since 1998. I am a data driven designer, shaping user experiences based on user research and analysis of quantitive and qualitative data. I combine this analytical approach to design with strong visual design skills and natural artistic ability. This enables me to develop products that are both visually engaging and highly usable.
Experience of all stages of project life cycle including:
- Gathering business and user requirements
- Wire framing
- HTML prototyping
- Usability testing
- Visual design
- Front end development
- Website deployment
Hand code HTML and CSS to W3C standards and have a strong understanding of WCAG 2.0 and front-end best practices.
I build solid user interfaces using progressive enhancement and strive for consistent user experiences across browsers and devices. I have a strong graphic design background.
- Expert hand-coded (X)HTML and CSS
- Expert knowledge of the HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.0, HTML5, CSS2.1/CSS3 specifications
- Proficient knowledge of WAI-ARIA and Microformats
- PHP1 Working knowledge
- Head a team of front-end developers and designers
- User interface design and development
- HTML/CSS production and CMS integration
- Produce both low and high fidelity wireframes and HTML prototypes
- Helped develop the in-house content management system
- Currently involved in the scoping and planning stage of a migration from our in-house CMS to Drupal
- Product and strategy development
- Running usability testing sessions and stake holder interviews
- Champion user centred design and accessibility to internal business teams
Tarsus Group Plc
Responsible for the design and front-end build of B2B directories, multi language event sites and HTML mailers.
Freelance 1998 - 2003
From 1998 to 2003 I worked on a freelance basis. Below are some of the highlights.
As senior user interface developer I was responsible for designing and building the user interface for a global corporate online payment platform. I worked closely with java developers, QA and business teams.
I championed the use of standards compliant semantic markup and ensured strict branding guidelines were adhered to.
ROC Timing Systems design and build timing systems for the motorsport industry. I designed and built their company site and client sites. Built a simple PHP/mySLQ CMS and designed user interfaces for trackside displays and software.
Maintained company intranet and produced graphical assets for partner websites.
My personal playground where I experiment and write about web related subjects.
Personal part time project. Job board for UK web workers.
Education and Qualifications
- 1994-1995 Tower Hamlets College
- Foundation studies in Art & Design
- 1992-1994 Tower Hamlets College
- BTEC Information Technology for Applications
Design for the web is my work and my hobby but I also enjoy photography, music, movies, drawing and painting. Most of all I love being a dad. You can find out more about me here.
References available on request